The Committee provides advice and assistance to Kingborough Council on access issues, in particular, in the implementation of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and regular evaluation of Council’s Access Action Plan.
Meetings are usually held on a bi-monthly basis.
- Being a point of consultation on issues regarding Council activities and projects and how they impact on the access needs of the community.
- Identify priorities each year, within the allocated budget to improve access for all in parks, streetscapes, and Council buildings and facilities.
- Raise access concerns related to Council’s roles and functions on behalf of Kingborough Council.
Identifying and advising Council and others of access issues in Kingborough.
- Promote the rights of people with a disability to be treated in a manner that enhances dignity, independence and equality of service to Council.
- Assist in the provision of Disability Awareness Training to Council officers, Committee members and other identified groups where appropriate.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures relating to access.
- Facilitate and oversee regular evaluation of the implementation of Council’s Action Plan.
The Committee meets every two months.
Chairperson – Mayor Paula Wriedt
Deputy Chairperson – Cr Flora Fox
- Building an accessible home in Kingborough – A guide produced by the Committee to building homes that benefit everyone.
- Designing accessible business premises – A guide produced by the Committee to developing commercial premises to suit all customers.
- Creating welcoming and accessible events – A guide produced by the Committee to help event organisers create community activities which are welcoming for all.