The impacts of a disaster affect people and communities in different ways, the recovery process can be long lasting and life changing. Each emergency is different in size and damage and impact.
The Tasmanian Government works with local councils to quickly assess the needs of residents in emergency funds, emotional or psychological support, housing and recovery.
If you are affected by an event, in the first instance contact your local council who will have Recovery Coordinator in place to assist you in receiving the appropriate help you need.
State Recovery Plans
Tasmania’s State Recovery Plan describes state level recovery arrangements to all stakeholders. The Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPAC) is responsible for whole of government recovery planning, preparedness and coordination. State Recovery Plan.
Municipal Relief and Recovery Plan
The Municipal Relief and Recovery Plan is a subplan of the Municipal Emergency Management Plan intended to assist in the planning and preparation for all types of emergencies that will require relief and recovery support; and sets out the arrangements for managing the planning and delivery of relief and recovery activities within the Shire.
- The Counselling Services and Support for Farmers and Rural Communities webpage may assist you in providing services to help you in your recovery after an emergency event.
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Kids Help line – 1800 551 800 – Anytime Any Reason
- Hobart City Mission – (03) 6215 4200 – helps clients in Southern Tasmania with providing food packs, food vouchers, personal hygiene packs, clothing and furniture.
- Rural Business Tasmania Inc – The Rural Relief Fund supports farming families and their communities in their time of most need.
- Salvation Army (Tasmania) Property Trust – (03) 6228 8400 – The Salvation Army Doorways Centres provide Emergency Relief and case management for clients across Tasmania.
- St Vincent de Paul Society continues to provide Emergency Relief through its Regional Centres, providing food and payment of other essentials – Southern Region – 6234 4244.
- The Uniting Emergency Relief program supports individuals and families experiencing financial crisis across Tasmania – 03 6234 1296.
- CatholicCare provides emergency relief across Tasmania for anyone who is experiencing financial hardship for any reason – 1800 819 447.