The Tasmanian State Emergency Service provides the following information in the case of a flood.
Don’t be fooled by a flood – they can happen in a flash. Take these simple steps to ensure the safety of you and your family during a flood.
- Know your local area, particularly if there is a history of flooding.
- Have an emergency kit on hand, including a battery operated radio, torch and spare batteries.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers handy.
- Identify evacuation routes and centres.
- Stay tuned to local media for current weather advice and warnings.
- Keep an eye out and don’t allow children to play in, or near, flood waters
- Always follow instructions and directions from local authorities.
- Be ready to evacuate if necessary.
- Never drive in flood waters.
- Never swim or wade in flood waters.
- Continue to monitor your local media for updated information and advice.
For further information contact the State Emergency Service (external website).
There are a number of resources to assist residents and businesses following flooding. These can be found on our Flood Assistance page. TasALERT also has a range of information and resources.