Recycling difficult items – Please note we are not currently accepting any recycling at the Civic Centre.
This is to reduce the risk of transmission of infection. You can dispose of the items directly to the Barretta Waste Management Facility.
Following a successful trial, Council will continue to recycle difficult items at a variety of locations in Kingborough.
The following items can be recycled:
- Mobile Phones and Accessories – Mobile Muster
- Household Batteries
- X Rays
- Coffee Pods – Terracycle and Nespresso
- Office Supplies – Terracycle: Non-electric office supplies including tape desk organizers, card and document filers, binders, calendars, labels, pens and markers, staplers, hole punchers, dividers, paper cutters, and correction supplies, paper clips, staples, and binder clips, and discarded backing from sticker and label sheets.
The items above can be dropped off for recycling at the following locations:
- Kingborough Civic Centre: 8.30 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday
Please note that oral care products (Toothpaste tubes and caps, toothbrushes, toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging, floss containers) can be dropped off at Unpacked, 45 Channel Hwy, Kingston.
Please note that due to contamination of other items within the recycling drawers, we no longer recycle the following items at the Civic Centre or Sports Centre:
- Media Storage
- Oral Care (can be dropped off at Unpacked)
- Beauty Products
Collections for Christmas Day are yet to be determined.
All other garbage and recycling will be collected as per usual collection times during the Christmas period. Please have all garbage and recycling out by 6 am ready for collection.
View or download the Kingborough Recycling Guide and A-Z of recyclables below, which tells you what you are able to put in the recycling bin and items you need to leave out. This includes alternatives for items not able to be recycled in the kerbside collection bins and other recycling schemes at Kingborough Waste Services.
As a guide, you can place the following in your recycling bin:
- Aluminium and steel cans: Food and drink cans including pressure packs and pet food cans. Clean foil and foil trays and remove lids.
- Newspapers, magazines, junk mail and office paper: place loose and do not secure in plastic bags.
- Milk and juice cartons: wash and flatten cartons and place them inside each other to make a brick.
- Glass bottles and jars: remove all caps and lids. Please do not include broken drinking glassware, window glass.
- Cardboard: do not secure in plastic bags
- Plastic drink, food, and non-food containers: margarine, ice cream, yoghurt, shampoo and household detergent containers, plus other containers with the triangle symbol 1-7 (except no. 6, which is polystyrene such as styrofoam and meat trays. Rinse and remove lids.
We cannot collect:
- Domestic waste
- Plastic bags
- Meat trays & foam trays
- Squeeze tube toothpaste containers
- Polystyrene & foam
- Plant pots or trays
- Drinking glass, window glass, light bulbs or broken glass
- Motor oil, acid, solvent or chemical containers
- Hose and cable
- Clothing and shoes
- Cigarette cartons & packets
- Cardboard pizza & takeaway food containers
- Ceramics, pottery, cookware & cutlery
For more information on how Kingborough’s recycling is processed, and for tips on recycling, visit SKM Recycling’s website.
Recycling collections take place fortnightly on the same day as your normal garbage collection service, between 6am and 4.30pm.
Wheelie bins need to be placed out prior to 6am on the morning of collection to ensure they are collected. To find out your collection day please use the Recycling Collection Map (PDF) or contact us.
Please note that collection does not take place on Christmas Day or Good Friday. Collection for these days will take place either the day before or the day after and will be advertised closer to the date. Collection services run as usual for all other days of the year.