Stage 1: The position information package
Before submitting an application, make sure you have the position description and selection criteria, which you can download on our current vacancies page.
Stage 2: Preparing your application
Your written application is an important first stage in demonstrating your claims in relation to the position.
You should include a covering letter as it allows you to introduce yourself and highlight the reasons you are seeking this position with the Council.
Claims against the selection criteria
You must submit a statement that addresses each of the selection criteria for the position. This document will assist us to establish whether you have the relevant knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience for the role.
In addressing the selection criteria, please provide information about your work history, qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience which is directly related to each selection criterion.
Your resume should cover the following areas:
- your employment history in chronological order, starting with your current employment
- details about the positions you have held including dates of employment, your job title, your employer and a brief outline of your main duties, responsibilities and major achievements
- educational qualifications, training courses, work tickets and professional affiliations which are relevant to the position you are applying for
- the names of two recent work related referees and their contact details. Referees are generally contacted after the interview and you will be advised before we contact your referees. A referee must be able to comment on your work experience and skills specifically relating to the selection criteria.
- Your application should be typed.
- Do not send written applications that are bound, or enclosed in plastic pockets/folders or manila folders.
- Do not send us original copies of any supporting documentation such as educational certificates as we are unable to return your application to you.
Submitting your application
Your application should be marked ‘Confidential position application’ and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also post your application to:
15 Channel Highway Kingston Tas 7050
Stage 3: The selection process
We will acknowledge that we have received your application as soon as possible. Late applications will not be accepted unless prior arrangements have been made.
Assessment of applications by the Selection Committee
Soon after the closing date, applicants will be shortlisted for interview based on our assessment of your application against the essential selection criteria.
If you are invited to attend an interview you will have the opportunity to explain or clarify information provided in your application. A series of questcanto assess each applicant. You may also be asked to provide examples of previous work or undertake appropriate skills tests.
Stage 4: Selection outcomes and employment checks
Once a decision has been made, all applicants are advised in writing of the selection process outcome. Post selection feedback is available upon request.
Note that positions with Council are subject to standard pre-employment checks and, depending on the requirements of the position, may include good character checks, a Working with Children check, a criminal history check and a pre-employment health assessment.
Council is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring fair, equitable and non-discriminatory consideration is given to all applicants.