Local Government Elections

Councils have a significant impact on the lives of all Australians, enabling the economic, social and cultural development of the community, supporting individuals and groups, and providing a wide range of services for the wellbeing of the community.

Councillors play a vital leadership role, working together to create and implement their community’s vision, strategic direction and the values within which they operate.

Mayors, Deputy Mayors and councillors are all elected for four-year terms. Mayors and Deputy Mayors are popularly elected by the community.

To be eligible to vote in a Council election, you must be a resident and/or property owner in Kingborough and your name must appear on either the House of Assembly Electoral Roll (for State or Federal Elections) or the General Manager’s Roll (for Local Government Elections).

What is the difference between the House of Assembly Roll and the General Manager’s Roll?

House of Assembly (State or Federal Elections)

If you are 18 or older it is your responsibility to enrol to vote. You may be fined if you do not enrol. If you are only 16 or 17, enrolment is not compulsory.  To enrol to vote, please contact the Tasmanian Electoral Commission

Voting is compulsory in Federal and Tasmanian Parliamentary elections and you may be fined if you do not vote.

  1. To enrol to vote please refer to the ‘Enrol to Vote‘ page on the Australian Electoral Commission website.
  2. To check whether you are enrolled, please refer to the ‘Check my Enrolment’ page on the Australian Electoral Commission website.
General Manager’s Electoral Roll (Local Government Elections)

The General Manager’s Roll (GM’s Roll) is a list of people who are eligible to vote in local government elections, even if they don’t live in the Kingborough municipality. Enrolment is not automatic.

You may be eligible for the General Manager’s Electoral Roll if:

  • you are a resident in the Kingborough municipality, but not eligible for the State electoral roll (for example, because you are not an Australian Citizen), or
  • you own or occupy land in Kingborough, but do not live in Kingborough (e.g. you lease a shop or own a property), or
  • you are the nominated representative of a corporate body which owns or occupies land in Kingborough.
How to enrol for the GM’s Electoral Roll

You need to complete one of the following forms:

Completed forms can be:

  • delivered to the Kingborough Civic Centre, 15 Channel Highway, Kingston; or
  • Mailed to:
    The General Manager
    Kingborough Council
    Locked Bag 1

If you have previously registered for the GM’s Roll but need to update your enrolment details, you are required to re-register using one of the above forms to ensure your details are up-to-date.


Local Government elections are a full postal ballot which means there is a polling period rather than one polling day. Every elector will be sent their very own postal ballot pack at their postal address. You then have around 4 weeks to complete your vote and:

  • hand deliver to the General Manager’s office at the Kingborough Civic Centre, 15 Channel Highway, Kingston; or
  • mail to:
    Returning Officer
    Tasmanian Electoral Commission
    PO Box 307
    MOONAH TAS 7009

Please note that if you are mailing your vote to the returning officer, you should do so allowing sufficient time for the mail to be received prior to the close of polling.

Elections are conducted by the Tasmanian Electoral Commission (TEC). Further information regarding enrolment, elections and voting is available on the TEC website