Emergency Management

In the event of an emergency, please call 000.

You can also visit TasALERT (external website) or follow them on Facebook or Twitter.

Council encourages residents to do their own emergency planning. Be pro-active, and talk to your family and friends about being prepared and staying safe in the event of a disaster. By working together, we build a stronger community and become more resilient to disasters.

Kingborough Municipal Emergency Management Plan

Kingborough has an integral role in emergency management.  It has resources that may be directly utilised, has access to other resources within the community and to vital information that will be required when responding to and recovering from an emergency.

The Kingborough Municipal Emergency Management Plan details how Council  will reduce emergency-related risks to the community. It also provides a way to mitigate and counter the impact and effects of an emergency that may arise within the municipal area.

View and download the plan: Kingborough Municipal Emergency Management Plan

Emergency Evacuation

In certain circumstances, such as a bushfire or flooding, it may become necessary for you to evacuate from your home.

When should I evacuate?

You can evacuate at any stage if you have concerns regarding your personal wellbeing and safety.

Should Emergency Services have concerns regarding your wellbeing and safety it may be recommended that you evacuate.

If you choose not to accept or act on these recommendations, and the situation becomes more critical, the Police have the authority to instruct you to evacuate.

How will I be notified if I need to evacuate?

If an evacuation is necessary, affected members of the community may be notified by one or more of the following methods:

  • State Government alerts
  • Media (including social media)
  • Visit from the Police, Fire Service or SES.

Where do I go if evacuated?

If you are asked to evacuate and are unable to arrange alternative accommodation (with relatives, friends, hotels, motels, caravan parks, etc.), temporary short term accommodation may be available at the designated evacuation centre.

Once the evacuation centre has been activated, details will be publicly advised via various means including ABC Radio and social media.

If you evacuate to a relative’s or friend’s house, consider registering online through the Register.Find.Reunite program to help others find you. This website is only activated during emergencies.

What should I take when evacuating?

When evacuating you should ensure that you take any essential medications with you. It is recommended that you take an emergency kit which should include:

  • Water (at least 5 litres per person)
  • Food
  • Medications and toiletries
  • Essential papers and cash
  • A battery operated radio and torch
  • A supply of spare batteries
  • Spare clothing
  • Mobile phone and charger
  • Bed linen, towels and something to sleep on.

When should I return home?

You should not return home until you have been told it is safe to do so.

Preparing for an emergency

The Tasmania Fire Service provides a range of information and resources in preparing for bushfires.

The Red Cross also has a free disaster preparedness guide, RediPlan (external link) that will help you to prepare for any emergency in four simple steps.

The following are some tips for your family to consider to prepare for an emergency:

  • How will you stay in touch in the event of, or after an emergency?
  • How you will contact each other if you are separated?
  • Who will collect family members and who will check on neighbours?
  • Where will you meet?
  • What will you do about pets?


Being prepared for the bushfire season is essential in a municipality that has a lot of bushland. It is important to remember how quickly things can change; bushfires can range from slow moving controllable fires to catastrophic firestorms. Visit our Fire page for more information on preparing for this natural hazard in Kingborough.

The Tasmania Fire Service has great resources on their website to help you make a plan for your family and home. Visit the Tasmania Fire Service website (external link).

Call Emergency Services on 000.

For more information on neighbourhood plans and Council’s bushfire policy and plans, visit our Fire webpage.

Floods and storms

The Tasmanian State Emergency Service provides simple steps you can take to ensure the safety of you and your family during a flood. For these steps and other advice, visit our Flood webpage or the Tasmania State Emergency Service (SES) website (external link).

The SES website all provides preparation information on being:

You can call the SES on 132 500.

Police Assistance Line

You can report a non-urgent crime by calling the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Call the line to report:

  • break-ins
  • motor vehicle theft
  • stealing from a motor vehicle
  • stealing
  • malicious damage
  • minor motor vehicle collisions
  • lost property.