The Kingborough municipality is experiencing the effects of climate change through more frequent and extreme weather events and bushfire threats. This is having a significant impact on our coastlines and critical infrastructure.
Council has been active in seeking mitigation options and adaptation responses at a local level. Working closely with the community and with other local government authorities and key stakeholders, we continue to raise awareness and respond in a meaningful way.
In 2019 Kingborough Council declared a climate and biodiversity emergency.
- Kingborough Council Climate Change Plan, 2019-2024 (PDF)
- Kingborough Council Climate Change Policy, 2021 (PDF)
- Key Climate Change Initiatives, 2022-23 (PDF)
Key Climate Change Plan Priority Objectives
- Climate Change Strategic Management:
- Council wide governance response
- Climate change communications
- Risk management
- Stakeholders and partnerships
- Energy and Greenhouse Gas Management:
- Net Zero Emissions implementation
- Energy and Emissions targets and planning
- Alternative energy and energy efficiency projects
- Community energy and greenhouse projects
- Climate Change Adaptation:
- Coastal hazards program
- Coastal community case studies
- Community resilience planning
- Climate related science and research