Leave No Trace is advice for walking on Kingborough’s tracks and trails. It’s based on the following principles:
Plan ahead and prepare
- For longer walks, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- For walks at high altitude, always prepare for extreme weather, hazards and emergencies.
- Observe the regulations regarding dogs, horses and bikes.
Dispose of waste properly
- Take your rubbish home with you.
- If you must emergency bush-toilet, please deposit all waste in a hole dug at trowel-depth (15 cm), at least 100 metres from any track or watercourse. Cover and disguise when finished.
- Dog owners should carry plastic bags to collect dog poo.
Walk on durable surfaces
- Stay on the marked track to prevent getting lost, erosion, and spreading root rot.
Leave what you find
- Leave Aboriginal artefacts, rocks, fossils, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
- Observe wildlife from a distance, especially during breeding seasons (eg nesting shorebirds in spring).
Be considerate of others
- Many walks pass close to private property. Please respect residents’ privacy.
- Keep dogs on a lead and under effective control on walks where dogs are allowed.