Flood Assistance

The impacts of the extreme weather event on Thursday 10 May continue to affect the Kingborough community, and there are a number of resources to assist residents and businesses who have been affected by storm damage.

TasALERT also has a range of information on their website: www.tasalert.com

Council continues to provide support for those in difficult situations and has dedicated a member of staff to advise those who are suffering hardship. Contact Council’s Customer Services Team by phone, on (03) 6211 8200 for more information.

Financial assistance

For recovery and restoration grants contact Housing Tas on 1300 665 663

For other financial assistance please contact 1800 567 567

Small businesses can contact Business Tasmania on 1800 440 026

Agricultural operators can contact AgriGrowth on 6165 3225

All other enquiries can be made to the Tasmanian Government Recovery Unit on 1800 567 567

Disaster assistance for individuals and families

Financial assistance provided through the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements for individuals and families affected by the extreme weather and flooding event in Tasmania has now closed.

Advice for property and business owners

Department of State Growth advises that impacted property owners should, in the first instance, ensure their properties are safe, seek expert advice where required and liaise with insurance providers.

Affected businesses seeking more advice on disaster recovery and/or assistance should contact Business Tasmania during office hours on 1800 440 026 or visit https://www.business.tas.gov.au/preparing_for_disasters

Staying healthy in flood events

With flood waters come risks to your health. To help you and your family stay safe and healthy during flood emergencies, Public Health Tasmania have prepared a guide covering topics including:

  • Risks from contaminated floodwaters and flood debris
  • Food safety
  • Boil water alerts
  • Treating infections
  • General safety measures

More information is available at: http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/alerts/current_health_alerts/floods

Public Health Warning: Sewage Spill (EPA)

The TasWater Sewage Pump Station at Sandy Bay stopped working on the morning of Friday, 11 May 2018 due to a lack of power. This resulted in untreated sewage being discharged into the River Derwent.

There were a number of sewage pump stations and treatment plants that discharged into the Derwent and surrounding waterways in the south and east of the state. This includes from Triabunna, Orford, New Norfolk, Huon area and Derwent River.

The advice from the EPA and the Director of Public Health is to follow existing warnings that contact with contaminated flood waters can cause illness.

In this particular severe flood event, people can avoid this risk by not undertaking recreational activities in the river until at least 5 days after the flooding.

More information is available from the Public Health website: http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/alerts/current_health_alerts/floods

Electricity safety

TasNetworks has provided the following advice for people returning home after the severe weather.

Your home: If your home (including outdoor buildings like sheds and carports) has been affected by flooding, your electrical wiring may be affected and you need to get a licensed electrician to confirm it’s safe. Once a licenced electrician has conducted a safety audit, they will need to send us a certificate of compliance before we re-energise your property. If you’re unsure if your property requires this service, please call our fault centre on 13 2004.

Appliances: Don’t plug in or use appliances that have been in floodwater until they’ve been checked by a licensed electrician. If you’re unsure if equipment has been damaged, please have it inspected before you plug it in or throw it away.

CablePI: Ensure it’s plugged in and switched on. When it’s working correctly, it’ll show a solid green light. An alarm or flashing amber light indicates a problem. If this happens, stay away from sinks, taps or other metallic objects in your house and immediately call us on 132 004.

If you don’t have a CablePI you can order one at www.tasnetworks.com.au

Fallen powerlines: If you see fallen power lines, always assume they are live and report them immediately to 132 004.

Leaning Poles: Flood waters may have damaged some poles by undermining the foundations. If you see a pole that looks like it is on an usual lean, stay well away and report it to our fault centre on 132 004.

For regular outage updates and flood safety tips visit www.tasnetworks.com.au or follow TasNetworks on Facebook and Twitter @TasNetworks..


Looking after yourself following a traumatic event

Natural disasters are traumatic and overwhelming events that can affect everyone in the community. The extreme weather and flash flooding that occurred on 10-11 May 2018 has had a widespread impact across the south of the state, including emotional, physical and financial stress.

Everyone will feel different in the days, weeks and months that follow an event such as this. It is important to take notice of how you and those around you feel and behave in case extra support is needed.


What to expect

It is normal for people to have a strong reaction following a traumatic event. You might experience a one or more of the following reactions:


  • feeling overwhelmed
  • feeling numb and detached

Physical reactions

  • Cannot eat
  • Feeling sick
  • Cannot sleep


  • Confusion
  • Forget things


  • Nightmares
  • Flashbacks of what happened


  • Fear
  • Sadness
  • Anger


  • Increased alcohol consumption


  • Guilt or failure
  • Questioning your actions


  • Avoiding people
  • Needing to talk about it

Taking care of yourself and others

Staying in touch with friends and family and talking about how you feel will be important in recovering after a traumatic event.

Looking after yourself

  • Keep in touch with people you trust
  • Talk about it
  • Exercise
  • Try to relax
  • Give yourself time
  • Take a pause and breath slowly
  • Looking after others
  • Listen to their worries
  • Help with simple things
  • Give them time to recover
  • Let them show their feelings
  • Remind them to eat and rest
  • Ask what is important to them
  • Reassure them about safety and security


When and where should I get help?

Do not wait until things become too hard or you feel that you are doing it tough before speaking to someone.


When to get help

  • If you are worried
  • There is no-one to talk to
  • You continue to feel upset
  • Physical feelings worry you
  • Loss of hope or interest in the future


Where to get help

  • Family and friends
  • Your doctor
  • Social work services at your local Community Health Centre
  • Local community groups
  • Employer assistance programs


Who can I contact?

You can speak to or see someone now.

Social Work Services

03 6166 8354 (9am-5pm Monday-Friday)


13 11 14 (24 hour / 7 days)


1300 224 636 (24 hour / 7 days)

Kids Helpline          

1800 55 1800 (24 hour / 7 days)

Rural Alive and Well

6259 3014

Mental Health Helpline

1800 332 388

Suicide Helpline

1300 132 098

Download an information sheet: Looking after yourself following a traumatic event

Insurance Council of Australia involvement

The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) has declared a Catastrophe for inundation and storm damage from May 10-11 to property and vehicles in Hobart, Tasmania.

As a result an Insurance Catastrophe the Insurance Taskforce, comprising all insurers with a claims footprint, has been established.

The ICA will act as the point of contact for insurance issues raised by government, as a facilitation and escalation service.

The ICA coordinates the collection and reporting of insurance claims data, to assist government with understanding the event and monitoring the recovery effort. ICA will report to government (as soon as known) on the number of claims lodged, the value of claims lodged, followed by periodic reporting showing the rate at which claims are being acquitted.