Air Quality

You can view current air quality data for locations around Tasmania, at the Department of Health and Human Services’ air quality web page.  

Wood heaters

Smoke from wood heaters can contribute to excessive levels of fine particles in the air. It can also cause a nuisance for neighbours. If you own or use a wood heater is important to know how to keep your smoke emissions as low as possible. This includes only using dry firewood and making sure heater vents are fully opened to prevent wood from smouldering.

View more information on how to use your wood heater:

Burn Brighter this Winter (PDF)

Improving Air Quality (PDF)

Open air burning

Open air fires are not permitted on properties less than 2000 m2 or within a residential zone, and only certain materials are allowed to be burnt:

  • Unpainted, untreated and uncontaminated wood
  • Pellet fuel
  • Briquettes
  • Paper
  • Coal
  • Charcoal or peat

You must also ensure that smoke from your open air fire is not impacting on any other nearby properties.

The burning of household waste in an open air fire or incinerator is not permitted.

Open air fires must be positioned:

  • At least 5 metres from any property boundaries
  • At least 30 metres from any neighbouring dwellings
  • Clear of any overhanging foliage or other combustible material.

When there is a total fire ban, you cannot burn an open air fire or incinerator at all.

For more information view the Health and Environmental Services By-law of 2021 (PDF)

Complaints about neighbourhood smoke

If you are having problems with smoke from a neighbouring property, we suggest that you first speak to the parties directly involved and discuss alternative solutions. If you do this and the issue still persists then you may choose to make a written complaint to Council.

In this complaint, please make sure you have detailed dates and times relating to when the smoke has been an issue and the address of where it is coming from to assist us in our investigation.

For further information regarding air quality issues please contact us on (03) 6211 8200.