Extension to Building Permits
During the COVID-19 pandemic, building work has been disrupted or delayed across the state, with some owners unable to complete work before their building permit expires. A Notice under the COVID-19 Disease (Emergency Provisions) Act 2020 has been issued to extend existing permits, which includes plumbing permits.
For more information visit our Extension to Building Permits page.
It is recommended that applications for Plumbing approvals should be made after any planning approvals have been finalised.
The plumbing approval process is generally as follows:
- Plumbing applications lodged – your submission should be prepared by a designer and will need to include a copy of the Title, working drawings, a Form 35 from the Plumbing Designer, soil test, a wastewater assessment if applicable, a certificate of Certifiable Work (Plumbing) from TasWater (if required), engineering design and specifications, and relevant consultant reports.
- Lodgement – your submission will be assessed to ensure all initial documentation has been provided with your application and contact you if further information is required. The Customer Service team will then lodge the application and send you the invoice to pay. Once it is paid, the application will be allocated to the Plumbing Department for assessment.
- Assessment – our officers will assess your applications and advise you in writing of the outcome of the assessment or to request further information.
If you are looking at upgrading or replacing your wastewater system, you will need to apply for a Plumbing permit. However, even if the plumbing work itself does not require a Planning Permit, the associated works (trenches, soakage areas etc.) may require a permit and assessment, including but not limited to:
- where threatened vegetation or vegetation subject to the Biodiversity Protection Code or Scenic Protection Code will be impacted/removed
- where the property is subject to the Heritage Code
- where the works are within 30m of a wetland or watercourse
- where the extent of works don’t meet the other limited exemptions listed in the Planning Scheme.
Please contact Council’s Customer Service Team on (03) 6211 8200 if you have any questions or are not sure of your particular requirements.
|Plumbing Permit Fees|
|Application for Permit Plumbing Work (Form 3)||$391|
|Application for Notifiable Plumbing Work (Form 3)||$391|
|Application for Amendment to Plumbing Approval (Plumbing Permit or Notifiable Plumbing Work)||$258|
|Application for Plumbing Permit (Form 3) where a Plumbing Order is issued for the plumbing work and the Form 3 is lodged less than 9 months since the issues if the Plumbing Order for the work||$515|
|Application for Plumbing Permit (Form 3) where a Plumbing Order is issued for the plumbing work and the Form 3 is lodged more than 9 months and less than 12 months of the issue of the Plumbing Order for the work.||$721|
|Application for Plumbing Permit (Form 3) where a Plumbing Order is issued for the plumbing work and the Form 3 is lodged over 12 months since the Plumbing Order was issued for the work.||$936|
|Certificate of Likely Compliance|
|Plan Approval (per m2) Class 1 to 9||$1.90|
|Plan Approval (per m2) Class 10||$1.60|
|Plan Approval Minimum Charge for Class 1 to 9||$309|
|Plan Approval Minimum Charge for Class 10||$185|
|Plumbing Inspections (per inspection)||$169|
|Permit Assessment - Backflow Prevention & Swimming Pools||$212|
|Certificate of Completion - Plumbing||$54|
|Plumbing Amendment Fee (per Hour)||$258|
|Onsite Wastewater System Assessment||$269|
|Onsite Wastewater System Amendment/Replacement or Repair of Existing Onsite Waste water System||$59|
|Plumbing Permit - Extended/Expired Permit/Old Permits|
|Application for Extension of Plumbing Approval (Form 76B) - 6 month extension||$163|
|Application for Extension of Plumbing Approval (Form 76B) - 9 month extension||$217|
|Application for Extension of Plumbing Approval (Form 76B) - 12 month extension||$250|
|Seepage and soakage (refunded if Council infrastructure at fault)|
|Preliminary Inspection and Dye Testing||$164|
|Additional Investigation (per hour)||$164|
|Copy of drainage plan (simple search and Print on A3||$24|
|Copy of drainage plans (Complex drainage plan covering multiple pages) - (per hour - minimum charge $50)||$66|
Plumbing information sheets
- As Constructed Drainage Plans
- Aerobic Wastewater Treatment Systems – Information for Property Owners
- Directors Determination – Categories of Plumbing Work
- Expired Permits Fact Sheet – Consumer, Building and Occupational Services
- Guide to Domestic Grey Water Use
- Sheds Info – Building and Plumbing Process Only (Does not include Planning Information)
- Application for extension of duration of Plumbing Permit – Form 76B
- Application for: Plumbing Permit – Certificate of Likely Compliance – Notice of Work – Form 3
- Standard of Work Certificate – Plumbing Work – 71B
- Start-Work Notification and Authorisation – Plumbing Work – Form 60
- Notification of Low Risk Work (Building or Plumbing) – Form 80
- Application to Amend Plumbing Approval