Applying to become an Australian citizen
The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for Australian citizenship. To apply to become an Australian citizen please contact the Department on 131 880.
Kingborough Council hosts Citizenship Ceremonies approximately every three months (see dates below). The ceremony is the final phase of being granted Australian citizenship. Generally, your ceremony will be held within six months of your application being approve. Due to COVID-19 and the number of people that we can safely accommodate at a ceremony, the waiting time may be longer than six months, and we cannot guarantee that you will attend the very next ceremony. When Council is provided with your details from the Department, you will receive a letter and/or email from us advising you when to attend your ceremony. If you have any queries regarding when you are likely to attend a ceremony, we advise that you contact the Department directly as Council does not determine when that will be.
What happens at a Citizenship Ceremony?
At the Citizenship Ceremony you are required to pledge your allegiance to Australia and its laws. The wording of the pledge is provided to you at the ceremony and will be the one you chose on your application form. You are then presented with a Certificate of Australian Citizenship, which formally represents conferral of Australian citizenship.
Who attends Citizenship Ceremonies
The Mayor of Kingborough presides over Citizenship Ceremonies and politicians both Federal and State members are also invited.
You are welcome to bring two guests to the ceremony to share this special occasion.
What to bring to a Citizenship Ceremony
You need to bring photo identification, for example a passport or driver’s licence.
Upcoming Citizenship Ceremony Dates
14 May 2021
11 June 2021
23 July 2021
Please note that these dates are subject to change.
The Kingborough Awards nomination process has closed for 2021.
The Kingborough Awards ceremony is celebrated on or after the 6 January each year.
This date was selected in celebration of the anniversary of the first Kingborough Council meeting, which was held on 6 January 1908.
There are three categories for nominations:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year (for people under the age of 27 on 6 January of the current year)
- Community Group of the Year
The Kingborough Awards ceremony will be held on Saturday 9 January at the Kingborough Community Hub.
Contact Council’s Community Development Officer on 6211 8170 for more information.
How to complete the form
Nominations may be submitted by groups (eg committees, associations etc.), or individuals.
When filling out the nomination form it is important to provide specific examples of how the nominee’s contribution(s) has been outstanding.
Nominations must give clear, adequate and precise details of the person’s/group’s involvements. Please state roles performed by the nominee, outline how their leadership benefited the community and indicate the degree of involvement and examples of their commitment.
The nature of the award places emphasis on what the person/group has done for the community in their various fields of voluntary involvement, rather than recognising achievements as part of normal duties in their paid occupation.
The degree and value of the contribution, as well as the length of service, are the primary criteria.
General Conditions of Entry
- Nominees must be a resident of Kingborough at the time of nomination.
- All nominations must be signed by a nominator in the space provided.
- Citizen of the Year must be 27 years or older as at 6 January 2021.
- Young Citizen of the Year must be aged no older than 27 years as at 6 January 2021.
- All nominations are strictly confidential and the information provided will be used only to assist the Kingborough Council in considering the merits of the nomination.
- Previous recipients of the major awards are not eligible to be nominated for the same award again. However, they may be nominated for a different award.
- Nominees who have previously received a Certificate of Appreciation are eligible to be nominated for the main awards in subsequent years.
- Groups nominated for the Community Group of the Year award should be a group based in Kingborough.
- Self-nomination by individuals or groups will not be accepted.
- Late nominations will not be accepted.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR INDIVIDUALS
- have made an outstanding contribution to the wellbeing of the Kingborough community (social, environmental, business and/or arts and cultural through leadership and/or personal service),
- display a commitment to community service over a considerable or continuous period of time,
- possess positive and inspiring personal attributes showing qualities such as versatility, flexibility, perseverance in their service to the community, and
- have demonstrated personal effort and initiative that has made a significant difference to the quality of life of the community.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR GROUPS
Groups must have:
- made an outstanding contribution to the wellbeing of the Kingborough community (social, environmental, business, arts and/or cultural),
- displayed a commitment to community involvement,
- promoted positive activities/qualities for the community,
- produced quality outcomes that have made a significant difference to the quality of life of the Kingborough community.
Before submitting your nomination, please make sure you have completed the following:
- Addressed the selection criteria
- Completed all sections of the nomination form
- Signed the application
- Attached supporting documentation