Green Waste Collection Service
Kingborough Council is introducing a new fortnightly kerbside green waste collection service to properties on the current kerbside collection service.
The introduction of a kerbside green waste service aligns with the Council’s Waste Management Strategy, is consistent with the Council’s recent declaration of a climate change emergency, and the community support for a service as identified in the 2018 green waste survey.
This new service will provide environmental benefits and help mitigate the effects of climate change by diverting green waste from landfill and reducing greenhouse emissions.
The new kerbside green waste collection service will automatically be provided to properties who meet the following criteria:
- Properties that are currently on the kerbside general waste and recycling service and are;
- Larger than 400 square metres.
- Smaller than 4,000 square metres.
- Unit complexes that have three or less units.
Some key features of the new service are:
- The fortnightly service will empty the green waste bin the same day as your current kerbside recycling bin but on the opposite week.
- The service will be charged to the ratepayer of the property, not the tenant, and the bin will be delivered to the property address.
- The annual fee for this service will be finalised as part of the Council’s 2020-21 budget process and is estimated to be approximately $80. There is no initial charge for the bin.
Properties that are within the current kerbside collection service and that are inside these parameters will be automatically included in the service. You can opt-out of the service by completing the below online form. Please have your property identification number (PID) ready as this is a requirement of the form. This is the number on your rates notice.
Properties that are within the current kerbside collection but are outside of the above parameters are able to opt-in to the service. Opt-in by completing the below online form. Please have your property identification number (PID) ready as this is a requirement of the form. This is the number on your rates notice.
Green Waste Disposal Centres
Green Waste can be disposed at the Barretta Waste Management Facility and Bruny Island Waste Transfer Station.
Kingborough Waste Services (KWS) offers two free green waste weekends per year at the Barretta facility and one at the Bruny Island station. The dates are advertised on Council’s social media page and the website.
Items must not be greater than 300mm in diameter.
Fees and charges for Barretta Waste Management Facility
|Green waste (minimum charge)||$ 11|
|Green waste (excess of 100kg)||$ 100 per tonne|
Fees and charges for Bruny Island Transfer Station
|Clean green waste <1m3 load||$9|
|Clean green waste 1–3m3 load||$20|
|Clean green waste 3–5m3 load||$24|
|Clean green waste <12 GVM||$35|
Green Waste Weekend Dates
The dates for the Green Waste Disposal Weekends at the Barretta Waste Management Facility and Bruny Island Waste Transfer Station are:
- 23 and 24 January 2021 – for 7050 & 7053 postcodes
- 30 and 31 January 2021 – for 7052, 7055 & all remaining postcodes
Green waste must be completely free of contaminants including:
- general waste
- hazardous waste
- declared weeds
Detection of contaminants may result in disposal fees. If you need help in identifying weeds, please contact Council on 6211 8200.
A limit of five cubic metres per household applies. Private and commercial operators will be requested to pay standard rates.
These weekends can be very busy, staff appreciate the patience of all visitors to the facility during this time. If you have any questions contact KWS on 6267 2337.