Please note that collection does not take place on Christmas Day. Collection for Christmas Day will be published in the Mercury, Kingborough Chronicle and on Council’s website and social media channels two weeks prior to collection.
Kingborough Council operates a weekly kerbside collection service for general household garbage, and a fortnightly collection for recycling and green waste. We contract the service to Veolia. They will only collect materials in this garbage bin, nothing loose.
Both garbage and recycling collections take place in the same area on the same day between the hours of 6 am and 4.30 pm. Please make sure your bin is out prior to 6 am on the morning of collection.
To find out when your collection day is, view the map via the below link or contact Customer Service on (03) 6211 8200.
How to use the interactive map
A new interactive map has been developed for kerbside collection service in Kingborough. This map is designed to allow you to find out when your next kerbside collection date is for your rubbish, recycling and green waste bins.
The map allows you to type in your address in the search bar or click anywhere on the map to get pick up details on a location. If you are using this map on your phone or tablet, use your fingers to zoom in and out on the map to find your location.
Once you find your location, click on the coloured area which will indicate the pick-up dates. A pop-up information tab, will appear with information indicating different service times for rubbish, recycling and green waste collection.
Wheelie bins are provided to households but they remain the property of Council. Please do not take them with you when you move.
To help identify your bin in the street, write your property (and unit) number on the rear of the bin.
Properties are allocated an 80 litre bin for garbage and a 140 litre bin for recycling. If you need more bin space, garbage bins can be upgraded to either a 120 litre or 240 litre bin, and recycling to a 240 litre bin.
If you want an upgrade, a fee will apply. Applications must be made on the approved form. (Please refer to the Forms section of the Council webpage).
Placement for collection
Please place bins at the kerbside in a clear unobstructed area with the wheels facing the property and the logo facing the street.
When placing a wheelie bin out for collection please ensure the following:
- The lid is fully shut and there are no items placed on top of the lid.
- The bin is on level ground.
- The bin is no less than 1 metre away from another wheelie bin.
- The bin is away from trees, power poles, street signs or any other obstruction.
In some small cul-de-sacs it may be necessary to place the bins together at the entrance to the cul-de-sac, where it may be easier for the trucks to collect the bins.
How to prevent offensive odours in your wheelie bin
- Wrap kitchen scraps in paper and place in a tightly sealed plastic bag such as your supermarket bag before placing in the bin.
- You can freeze waste foods (particularly meat & fish) and place them in the bin just before collection. This slows down the bacteria that break food down and cause odours.
- Ensure that your bin is not overfull and that the fly proof lid is properly closed.
- Keep your bin in a cool shady area.
- Use your home compost bin or worm farm for materials that decay.
We can assist if you have:
- missed collections
- lost or damaged bins
- difficulty in using wheelie bin due to site difficulties
You may be eligible for driver assist if you experience difficulties managing your wheelie bin due to personal, physical or age-related disabilities.
To report your issues, please contact us on (03) 6211 8200.