Nature Strips and Road Reservations

Urban nature strips

Council has general responsibility for the management of local road reservations, including nature strips. Council installs and maintains, signage, street trees, and other important streetscape elements within nature strips.

It is not Council policy to maintain urban nature strips. We request that residents maintain and mow any lawns or other vegetation (excluding street trees) within the nature strip adjacent to their property.

Council can assist residents who are unable to maintain their nature strip by providing twice annual mowing of nature strips.  Written submissions for assistance will be assessed according to the resident’s individual circumstances.

For more information on nature strips please read the Nature Strip Guidelines (PDF).

Storage and skip bins on road reservations

If you wish to store materials within the road reservation, including your nature strip, you must obtain a permit. Conditions are attached to approvals for the temporary use or storage of building materials and other objects including skip bins and storage containers.

To apply for a skip bin permit please read the Skip Bin Guidelines (PDF) and complete our Skip Bin Application Form.

No spray register

Council manage and maintain roadside vegetation on Council roads. This includes spraying vegetation using Government approved sprays to ensure declared weeds and pest plants are controlled. If you don’t want the Council road reservation adjoining your property sprayed, you can apply to be added to our No Spray Register.

Note: spraying along State highways is undertaken by the State Government and is not applicable for this register.

For more information please refer to the No Spray Register Guidelines (PDF).

Glyphosate Concerns

Kingborough Council is aware of the current concerns regarding the use of Glyphosate in weed management. The Council is guided by the Federal Department of Health and the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicine Authority (APVMA) regarding the use of chemicals in weed management.

A comprehensive scientific assessment by expert scientists at the APVMA concluded that glyphosate products are safe to use, provided they are used in accordance with the label instructions. Local councils and contractors are able to use glyphosate products provided they are registered with the APVMA and staff follow the label instructions. These products are safe to use in areas which will be later used by people and animals, provided they are applied according to the instructions.

As the national regulator for agricultural chemicals, APVMA continue to track and consider any new scientific information associated with safety and effectiveness of glyphosate, including information from other regulators.

The safety of Council staff is paramount; all staff are required to adhere to the appropriate policies and procedures when using chemical products.

The APVMA has produced a fact sheet on the use of glyphosates to reassure users and visitors to areas where the product may be used by Councils. The information can be found on their website at


Council is responsible for providing street lighting in the municipality.

TasNetworks maintain the streetlights and arrange for replacement lights. Streetlights that are not working should be reported to TasNetworks on 132 004. If possible please take note of the nearest address and the 6-digit number on the light pole so that it can be easily identified.

Requests for new streetlights should be directed to the Engineering Services Department on 6211 8200 or via our online contact form.

Street signs

Council is responsible for providing street signage in the municipality.

Requests regarding missing or damaged street signs should be directed to the Engineering Services Department on 6211 8200 or via our online contact form.